December 24th – Merry Christmas!!

December 24, 2008

Et benedictus fructus ventris
Ventris tui Jesus

Ave Maria
Ave Maria Mater dei
Ora pro nobis pecatoribus
Ora, ora pro nobis
Ora ora pro nobis pecatoribus

Nunc et in hora mortis
In hora mortis, mortis nostrae
In hora mortis nostrae
Ave Maria!

“The Ave Maria was composed in about 1825 by Franz Schubert (1797-1828) when he was twenty-eight years old and filled with devotion to the Blessed Virgin Mary. It was written for voice and piano and first Published in 1826 as Op 52 no 6. The words most commonly used with Schubert’s music are not the words that the composer originally set to music. Franz Schubert actually wrote the music for an excerpt from the poem “The Lady of the Lake” by Sir Walter Scott (1771-1832).

The original words by Sir Walter Scott include many references to the Latin “Ave Maria” prayer. This, no doubt, inspired an unknown person to fit the Latin “Ave Maria” prayer text to Schubert’s notes, and it almost succeeds with a couple of exceptions. The adapted Latin words of Ave Maria prayer (Hail Mary ) is now the version most commonly performed with the music of Schubert.”

Merry Christmas to all, and to all, a good night!

1. December 24, 2008 2:47 pm

Merry, merry Christmas, Qugrainne! Yours has certainly been the most festive site on the blogosphere! Hope you have a wonderful time with your family and friends and wishing you much love, luck and contentment in 2009.

Thanks, Litlove. I could definitely go for the love, luck and contentment in 2009. Especially the luck part – I just sent a query out – this week is going to be “query week” for me, so cross fingers!
    A wonderful time was had by all on Christmas eve and Christmas day. Thank you!

2. December 24, 2008 6:21 pm

Dear Q,
    This is lovely.
    Splendid.
    A merry Merry Christmas to you and yours!

thanks, oh! And today is Boxing Day and another round of parties. We will be having tea at 3:00 with a dear friend. I forgot to get the crackers! Back to the store. I hope your Christmas was merry. 😉

3. December 24, 2008 10:11 pm

I’ll be heading out of town today and will be back on the 26th, so allow me to wish you a very Merry Christmas. It has been so much fun reading your Dec. posts and kudos to you for the effort and dedication. You have definitely charged my Christmas spirit. I hope the Christmas holiday for you and your family is filled with magic and wonder and joy.

thank you, Carl. The holiday was indeed filled with magic and wonder and joy. I hope you had a wonderful time with family, too.
    It has been a fun month, and I have enjoyed focusing on the advent every single day. It passed so quickly, as good times most often do. Now we can think about the new year, and what we hope to accomplish. I am looking to make a good, healthy list!

4. December 26, 2008 6:31 am

A very Happy Christmas to you!
    From both of us!!

Thank you Pamela, and Edward. 🙂

5. December 26, 2008 10:15 pm

This is beautiful..as are all your advent posts!

I hope you enjoyed a beautiful holiday, and sending you best wishes for the New Year!

Thanks, Becca. The holiday, and VACATION from work, have been great. It was a fun month of advent….. I think I will take a little break now, however!

6. December 28, 2008 12:27 am

Stunning. Absolutely stunning. More beautiful than I can imagine. I hope your Christmas was beautiful — and your new year as joyous.

Christmas with family was beautiful, thank you Jeanie. I am looking forward to 2009 with lots of (attainable!!) goals.
    The painting is by my favorite artist – Rogier Van der Weyden. He paints the most beautiful Madonnas, and I love it that Jesus is reading a book in her lap. Many of Van der Weyden’s paintings have books in them, which I think is very cool.

7. December 28, 2008 10:30 pm

What an utterly beautiful painting… Wishing you a peace-filled, healthy and creative New Year! Deb

Thanks, Deb! I am wishing you the exact same thing – peace, health and creativity!!

8. January 3, 2009 10:06 pm

Happy New Year, qugrainne ~ I’ve been delighting myself going back through everyone’s December/Advent and Christmas blog entries. Because I was writing about Advent and Christmas myself this year, I made myself NOT read what others were writing. I wanted my own pieces to emerge as much from my own contemplation of the season as possible.

The joy is that I now get to relive the entire season again, through others’ eyes. Your entries are just wonderful – and I really did enjoy your “self-portrait”. I remember the first collage I did in school – it was nothing like yours! Wonderful work.

Best wishes for the new year – however silly my self-imposed “quarantine” during the holidays, now I’m back to enjoy your wonderful work.

Linda
    I am so pleased you visited, Linda. I understand why you might want to be quarantined while writing your own piece over the holiday season. I find myself being careful about that – wanting what I have to say to come completely from me, rather than being consciously or unconsciously influenced by other writing.
    It was a very relaxed and fun month of December, working on the advent pages and not pressuring myself to write anything. Just what the doctor ordered. Now I have to get back to it, along with going back to work on Monday!