who let the dogs out? woof woof, and everything else

August 7, 2008

Summer is winding down for me, though it is still the first week of August. My carpal tunnel starts to kick in about now, though it is not as bad as last summer. School starts at the end of the month, and a new position for me. Thus, blogging has to take a back seat. I have had a wonderful summer of blogmania. There have been a variety of prompts that started the wheels turning, and were great practice for me. I read many, many wonderful books – though I only reviewed a few – it was a good summer for reading. I conversed with many bloggers. This was a new, enlightening, entertaining experience. Little snippets of conversation with people who enjoy the same things I enjoy: reading and writing. And talking about reading and writing.

I do not intend to stop blogging, but I will certainly have to cut back. I have already cut my “daily blog reading” on my favorites list, in half. Eventually, it will have to be “weekend blog reading.” I want to thank all of the wonderful writers out there, who have wrtten great stuff for me to read, and who have visited and commented here. I have friends everywhere!

I also have to give the majority of my focus to my current WIP. An agent has requested the first three chapters, so fingers crossed, candles lit, prayer wheels turning!

*****************************

On to business bits and pieces that have to be taken care of .

The winner of the Far World – Waterkeep contest: (drumrollllllllllllll) is Oh! Congratulations, Oh!

Please email (qugrainne@yahoo.com) your address to me, so Scott can send the book to you. Let me know what personal message you would like him to write to you on the front page.

************************************

Hi Mom, it’s not bath time, is it?

Next bit of business is the Plotdog Woof Contest winners of the week. Please visit these writers:

Penelope Anne Bartotto 100 Words Pillar

Robert Bourne Rain on the Window

Jennifer M Scott Proximity

Jenn Still Holding Her Hand

Kimota What Kind of Writer Are You?

***********************************

I thought it would be fun to show some before and after pictures of the garden. The house was built on a vacant lot and we moved in June, 2005. The contractor put one inch of top soil over bricks, clay, rocks, bottles, and various other garbage. There was no way a garden could be planted – at least not very easily. So I ordered a dump truck of garden blend.

And we moved it around a bit, had the bricks delivered, laid them out, filled in with the dirt, and put gravel down for a path. Isn’t that puppy cute?

In 2006 the trees, bushes and pond went in. It was not easy to dig the holes!!!

More flowers in 2007, and this is 2008. Late in the day, it had just finished raining.

The front and side of the house went in the first week after we moved. I brought 200 plants from my previous garden, and they had to get in the ground! It was a lot of work, but it looks very nice, and it takes five minutes to cut the grass!! These photos are from year two, after the miniature apple tree was planted.

*************************

Coming up in September, the Coffee House Series interview with Sandra Balzo. Be on the lookout for that; it will be fun.

1. August 7, 2008 1:32 pm

Oh the very best of luck with your new position! I do hope you’ll blog about it a little bit as you know I’m in the same boat and keen to find out how you get on. And fingers crossed of course for the agent!

2. August 7, 2008 7:11 pm

Good luck with all the writing. And your garden looks amazing. Very inspirational. Will light a metaphorical prayer candle for you for the chapters!

3. August 7, 2008 7:28 pm

Hi Litlove, thanks for the good luck wishes. Yes – we will have to trade news about the learning curve in our new positions! Teachers of special education are hard to come by, here, so I hope I can help ‘my’ interns decide to stay in their positions.

Thanks, Pete. Summer writing has been good, the weeds have taken over the garden. Oh well.
    I appreciate all the positive thoughts for my chapters out with the agent. I feel good about it, so…… we shall see. Any good news will certainly be highlighted here!!

4. August 8, 2008 1:10 am

Your garden is delightful! I’m so envious – I have no green thumb at all 🙂

For the first time in a long while, I don’t have a school position to return to, so autumn heralds no changes in my schedule. But I’m well aware of the upheaval that begins with the ringing of the school bell. Keep us posted when you can on the progress of your new position.

And goodness, congratulations about the agent query! I’ll keep all good thoughts for you on that score!

Can’t wait for the Sandra Balzo interview 🙂

5. August 8, 2008 5:38 pm

Even if you cannot blog as often, keep us going with dog and garden pictures! They are wonderful, too. And cheering for you on the three chapters-and-agent quest.

6. August 8, 2008 7:08 pm

Hi Becca, lucky you! Summers off are so wonderful, but year around not “working” would be fabulous – I hope you enjoy. I am looking forward to the new position. I may be mentoring an intern in my old school, so that would be fun – see all my buddies.
    No news yet from agent.. I will certainly shout about it if there is good news (and mention it in passing if it is bad news!).
    I inherited the green thumb from my mother. She is a gardening maniac, as is my sister.

Oh!! You must email your address to me, so I can have Scott send you Far Word – Waterkeep. You were the lucky winner! qugrainne@yahoo.com
    I will plan on writing at least weekly. I am addicted to having an immediate audience, and being able to read what other people are writing/doing in their creative lives. Blogging is so much fun!
    Thanks for the cheers.

7. August 8, 2008 9:01 pm

Oh, please don’t leave us too long! But I can see where keeping up that glorious garden would take rather awhile! It’s a stunner — and it gives me inspiration for my scrubby little yard. A tree and a half fell during a June storm, soon to be removed (I waited; it wasn’t on the house and the tree-cutters were gouging!). It will leave a spot that may well make a lovely shade garden! Seeing your before and after really does encourage me! (And your pup is a dear!)

8. August 8, 2008 11:26 pm

Hi Jeanie – scrubby little yards make the best secret gardens! Put in a few little trees and bushes, and you are set to go!
    I just have to cut back on the blog thing. It is so much fun, reading and writing, but it does eat up a lot of time. I really have to weed the garden today, too. My mom and sister are visiting this weekend, and their gardens……….!!!!!
    Terra says thanks for the compliment.

9. August 9, 2008 8:26 am

Wow, your garden grew like magic! You’ve done an amazing job!
    And, it’s not time to go back to work yet is it??? Time is truly zipping along this year way too fast! All the best with all your writing and other endeavors! I do enjoy your blog.

10. August 9, 2008 6:34 pm

Thanks for the good wishes, Pamela. Time does zip. Everytime I blink, five years slides by. It just shows how important it is to live in the moment. I try to never, ever say, oh I wish it was the weekend, or summer, or whatever. Hope it is cooling off for you. We have had a lovely week – I could even wear jeans, which was a nice switch. Terra was happy she didn’t have to rest under trees on our walks!

11. September 22, 2014 5:44 am

What’s up everyone, it’s my first go to see at this site, and post is genuinely fruitful
    in support of me, keep up posting these posts.