Far World – water keep By J. Scott Savage

July 23, 2008

In the real world, it is pretty hard to be a hero, especially if you are a little kid. Now imagine yourself as a kid who has to get around in a wheelchair because of physical disabilities. Okay, go ahead and try to intimidate the bad guys. Impossible? Not if you are Marcus Kanenas, the hero in Far World – Water Keep, by J. Scott Savage. From the cover blurb:

Other people may see thirteen-year-old Marcus Kanenas as an outcast and a nobody, but he sees himself as a survivor and a dreamer. In fact, his favorite dream is of a world far away, a world where magic is as common as air, where animals tell jokes and trees beg people to pick their fruit. He even has a name for this place-Farworld.

When Marcus magically travels to Farworld, he meets Kyja, a girl without magic in a world where spells, charms, and potions are everywhere, and Master Therapass, a master wizard who has kept a secret hidden for thirteen years, a secret that could change the fate of two worlds.
But the Dark Circle has learned of Master Therapass’s secret and their evil influence and power are growing. Farworld’s only hope is for Marcus and Kyja to find the mythical Elementals-water, land, air, and fire-and convince them to open a drift between the worlds.

As Kyja and Marcus travel to Water Keep, they must face the worst evil the Dark Circle can throw at them-Summoners, who can command the living and the dead. Unmakers, invisible creatures that can destroy both body and soul; and dark images known as Thrathkin S’Bae.
Along the way, Marcus and Kyja will discover the truth about their own heritage, the strength of their friendship, and the depths of their unique powers.

I really enjoy well-written fantasy. To find a great fantasy that also has a positive message (that doesn’t hit you over the head) is a double bonus. J. Scott Savage has done that, along with creating realistic and love e‘m or hate ‘em characters. He has also introduced a fabulous fantasy world I can picture clearly. And if that isn’t enough coolness, there is a map! I love maps in books. The first in a five book series, this is a great read for young adults, and adults too!

Published by Shadow Mountain, fabulous illustrations by Brandon Dorman.

Read the J. Scott Savage interview in the Coffee House Writing Series, coming up on July 25, 2008

To make fantasy readers doubly happy, there is a book give-away. If you would like to enter the drawing for an author-autographed (with a personal message!) copy of the advance reader’s edition, just make a comment on this review. You can have a copy of this book before it hits the shelves in September, ensuring the envy of all your friends! Winner chosen on July 30th.

1. July 23, 2008 8:13 pm

I am so far behind/overwhelmed in my reading desires and obligations. I feel bad because I too have a copy of this book to review and by all accounts I have a fun story ahead of me…just got to get to it! 🙂

2. July 23, 2008 8:17 pm

You sure do take on a lot, Carl! This will be a quick read for you, since it is young adult. I can’t wait until the book comes out in September so I can see all of the illustrations. I really like Dorman’s work, and he seems a perfect match for Far World.

3. July 23, 2008 10:20 pm

The illustrations that you put up look fantastic! I love well-illustrated stories.

4. July 24, 2008 5:54 am

Finally, finally a young adult fantasy of a hero in a wheelchair. What has taken so long? This is wonderful, both for disabled kids, and for those who need to better appreciate their abilities.

5. July 24, 2008 7:45 am

I always love to hear about new books! This one sounds very intriquing and the illustrations are wonderful! Thanks for the suggestion!

6. July 24, 2008 8:06 pm

I agree Carl. I still buy children’s books because I so enjoy the art.

WR, wheelhairs in general are few and far between in literature. Scott did a great job of depicting this, without being smarmy or condescending.

Hi Pamela. Yes, the illustrations are great. I really like the one of the trees – with great faces! and how majestic they look next to the small humans.

7. Bonez permalink
    July 25, 2008 6:04 am

This sounds like a book I would really like. Put my name in for the drawing!! The illustrations are so cool, and I like the heros of the story.

8. July 25, 2008 7:49 pm

Thanks for visiting, Bonez. I bet you’ll enyoy this book. The heros are very real, likable characters. I will definitely have your name in the drawing next week.

9. PAXTON NORTHROP permalink
    September 24, 2008 4:59 am

Dear Scott Savage,

You came to my school tooday,Ryan Elemantary.
    i waz wonderin when yr comin to barnz n nobl
    wanna read yr book