Fess up friday… or is it sins on saturday

July 20, 2008

There was a fair amount of writing going on this week. Unfortunately, it has also been a very unsettling week, with a lack of a certain kind of focus. I did spend a lot of time on query letter, synopsis, and first thirty pages of the WIP. I was able to dive into that fantasy world without too much trouble.

Reality world was a bit overwhelming, however, so other writing, thinking, planning, doing, was quite unfocused. I sat down Saturday, as usual, to write my (late) confession, and couldn’t pull it together. Tried again, later in the day, couldn’t do it. This evening, I stopped pushing and pulling. I went out in the garden and listened to the water trickling into the pond. I walked around and looked at all of the plants (domestic and otherwise) having their way with my back yard. I took deep breaths, shook out the kinks in my hands, and took a few photos. I am not going to write any more today, when normally I would take advantage of the very quiet house. I am going to share these pictures, and…

Of course I wanted these plants to spill over the bricks and onto the path.

Yes, these too. all part of the master plan.

It is good I didn’t get around to buying tomato plants this year. The strawberries obviously had other ideas for that space.

Pond? What pond. Looks like a thyme patch to me.

Don’t worry. We can just climb over the flowers that are growing in the middle of the path at the gate.

Creeping thyme is supposed to be walked on. It doesn’t matter that there is a flagstone path there. Somewhere.

Relax. Nobody uses that back gate anyway. Let the larkspur just grow in the path.

Right. The garden is doing just fine on its own. Tomorrow is another day for writing. I am going to grab that mystery and a mug of chai, and climb into bed. It feels quite nice, being lenient with me.

1. July 20, 2008 6:43 am

Dearest Qugrainne,

I do love the blues of your garden ….. how could I not ?? A wonderful way to stroll through a Saturday. That mystery and cup of chai in bed sounds peaceful – a gift to oneself. Why is it so difficult to give ourselves permission to just ….. be?

I awoke with great plans today. None have come to fruition. Tomorrow, I say. Tomorrow. Reality will come invading through the front door soon enough. Today I dream.

oxox
    lady blue

2. July 20, 2008 9:19 pm

Everyone needs space and time, and writing takes more of them than one thinks. I agree with the previous commenter – give yourself permission to just be and everything will look better. Not the garden though, that looks lovely as it is.

3. July 21, 2008 4:55 am

Well, I did give my self permission to recline and relax. Drank the chai, finished the book, slept well! Accomplished some (hopefully) final drafting today…. they are with my editor (son) right now. We will see what he says! Thanks for your kind thoughts, Lit and Lady.

4. July 22, 2008 12:25 am

Beautiful garden and photos!
    Sandra

5. July 22, 2008 3:21 am

Thank you, Sandra. I took a peek at your site this afternoon and was overwhelmed. How enchanting! I shall be a regular visitor. Thanks for stopping by here, and commenting.

6. July 22, 2008 5:18 am

What a fantasy land! And right in your own back yard!
    I’m SO envious! It really is so pretty.
    I hope your garden break was restful! And your blog header is just perfect!
    Becky

7. July 22, 2008 7:39 am

Lovely garden! I especially like the chartreuse colors with the blue of the fence. Everything looks so cool and lush.

8. July 22, 2008 7:46 am

Hi Becky. My break was very good for me, thank you. It is a fantasy world, out the back door, and my little fairy is still quite happy!

Thanks, Pamela. Lush is definitely in the description. Unfortunately, the WEEDS are lush too, but I just can’t care. I am pulled in too many directions this summer, so I am just enjoying it the way it is. That chartreuse is my favorite plant color, too.

9. July 22, 2008 8:07 am

And being lenient with your garden. Some people and gardens just thrive on leniency.

10. July 22, 2008 8:13 am

Ha ha. I will try to go that route more often, to see how I thrive. The garden? When I can’t get to the garage, I will just get out my machete.