‘fessin – up – friday…. my dutiful confession for the week

June 27, 2008

I have vowed to keep this short. WordPress spends far too much time up on my screen. I have a WIP to get to, afterall!

1. And speaking of which, final draft of AFDatS (for want of a decent title) was complete before I went on a break. This week, I did a hand edit of 75 pages, and now I am entering the changes on the computer – up to page 26 at the end of the work day yesterday. I am pleased with how it is going. Andi asked a question about the writing process today. I have tried a different style with this book. My first book was: write, read, write a little more, go back and edit, write, re-edit, write, re-re-edit and etc. You get the picture. Took four years to write the bloody thing. Every single word is perfect (why hasn’t an agent figured that out?). AFDatS, on the other hand, is not word perfect (yet) but the story flows, is more interesting and exciting, and I just like the feel of it better. So. I will carry on in this style.

2. Next accomplishment of the week, I wrote a book review of The World to Come by Dara Horn. Which means I read a book! I actually read two books in the last week and a half, but haven’t decided if I will review the other one. Writer Reading asked, somewhere in a confession, if reading wasn’t writing? I guess I wouldn’t go that far, but it sure is a lovely accomplishment, to get to that final page.

3. I read an e-zine titled WOW – Women on Writing. (I am so pleased to say I was notified that I made it into the final round of their flash fiction contest!) That is writing in the past, however. What I wanted to talk about was their blog, which I have bookmarked in my Daily Read group. (I wish people would stop writing such great blogs: my Daily Read group keeps growing, just like Becky talking about the Kudzo that is taking over the south in Wonders Never Cease. Anyway, in the WOW blog (6/25) I learned about Peter Shankman and his project Help a Reporter. Go to this page in his blog and check it out. I joined, and received my first email this morning. Peter Shankman is one incredibly energetic guy. He jumps out of airplanes, runs marathons, has a hopping PR business, and in his free time organizes Help a Reporter for no compensation. His only resquest is: if you like it, donate some money to any animal rescue organization. My kind of guy. Look to see if you might be interested, or pass the tip on to a friend.

4. Sent another query letter to Query Shark. Grrrrrrrrrrrrr. I will let you know if it is posted.

5. That’s it for confessions. It was a lovely week. I wasn’t hugely productive, but I will claim a little jet lag, warm weather, driving my daughter all over creation, and spending quality time with the pup, who missed me terribly last week. I can’t end this post without including some visuals!! Here is a peak at some of our Ireland memories. We will call it Gothic Arches. (Some photos are mine, some are Sinead’s.)

I hope you have a great weekend!

1. June 27, 2008 10:12 pm

Some fantastic photos. Thanks for sharing.

2. June 28, 2008 6:37 am

Thanks for all the links – I”ll be certain to check them out. And here’s to hoping you move from finalist to winner.
    Great weekend to you, too.

3. June 28, 2008 7:20 pm

You’ve had a very productive week, especially just after a vacation. Sometimes I find myself energized by time away, especially if I’m soaking up wonderful sights and scenery in lovely historical places, as you obviously were 🙂

I was interested in your comments about the writing/editing process. I don’t seem to have any problems getting words on paper, but the revising and editing stops me cold. I have lots of “finished” things, but I can’t seem to muster the energy to do the necessary re-working.

I’m off to check out all your links – all new to me, and sounding like fun.

4. June 29, 2008 4:51 am

Gosh, I love these gothic windows! Reminds me of Glastonbury Abbey. Beautiful!

5. June 29, 2008 6:32 pm

Thanks for dropping in, leafless.

Thanks for all the good wishes, Andi. So far, the weekend is beautiful. A little rain, lots of sun, great books!

You are right, Becca. I was energized after the vacation. No writing that week – and lots of good adventures to look back on. I don’t know what to say about your aversion to editing. I don’t know why I like it. A little bit of perfectionism coming through, maybe…. have to have all the shoes lined up in the closet, you know. I hope you find something interesting in the links.

Hi Pamela. Yes, Glastonbury is beautiful. Each of these was from a different location: monastary, abbey, cathedral, you name it. I especially love ruins. The last picture was from a ruin very near our hotel in a small town in Galway. We walked through the field and an old cemetary to get there. No tourists!! My daughter was in seventh heaven, taking photos. Thanks for the visit.

6. June 30, 2008 1:26 pm

Hi Qugrainne, great post and I really like the beautiful Gothic arches pics. Also just checked out the cool dancing video. Best of luck with the Flash Fiction contest.

7. June 30, 2008 6:53 pm

Thanks for the Best luck wish, Pete. I will surely announce the results, regardless.
    I love arches. I find on every vacation, when reviewing the pics at home, I am drawn to arches. Like Lady Blue-Bicycle loves spirals, and Carl at Stainless Steel Droppings love circles. I guess the arch (subconsciously?) represents a door to somewhere else….

Trackbacks