Fess Up Friday….. early!

June 13, 2008

The Road Not Taken
Two roads diverged in a yellow wood,
And sorry I could not travel both
And be one traveler, long I stood
And looked down one as far as I could
To where it bent in the undergrowth;

Then took the other, as just as fair,
And having perhaps the better claim,
Because it was grassy and wanted wear;
Though as for that the passing there
Had worn them really about the same,

And both that morning equally lay
In leaves no step had trodden black.
Oh, I kept the first for another day!
Yet knowing how way leads on to way,
I doubted if I should ever come back.

I shall be telling this with a sigh
Somewhere ages and ages hence:
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—
I took the one less traveled by,
And that has made all the difference.
Robert Frost

Okay, there aren’t two road here. No, it is not a yellow wood. Be patient, you’ll get the connection later.

Not quite as much to confess today, compared to last week, but a good week, all in all. I have been hootin’ and hollerin’ all week about the road I have chosen…..

The new position: I will be a mentor teacher “providing support and teaching effective use of skills and strategies for meeting the needs of their students to first and second year interns, who are teaching special education” in a very large district. I am employed by the university, which is collaborating with the district, and will have ten interns. I am very pleased, and will still have summers off!! The interview was very scary up until I got into the room. Then it was relatively easy. Whewwww.

What else have I written? A few comments on various blogs (because I am addicted and it is hard to leave it alone). I am working the “Helpdesk” for Sisters in Crime, and made one entry for their Books in Print listing.
Last Sunday I finished the rough draft of my WIP. I am pleased with it. Somehow, I wrote a young adult, urban fantasy. It is at 55,000 words right now, and very rough. This is the first time I have just written straight through, rather than edit, write, edit, write, re-edit, edit, re-edit, write, etc. Stephen King told me to try writing this way (no, not a personal conversation, but in his book On WritingA Memoir of the Craft). I suspect it will be around 70,000 words when it goes through a couple more drafts, which sounds about right to me. I am tempted to put up the first few pages here and get some feedback. What do you think? Is this tempting fate? Should I wait a month when I have completed at least one edit? I am torn, and would like your opinion.

And now, I can think about packing and planning what I am going to do in Ireland next week. My poor Mom is having conniptions because I haven’t been packed for three weeks with a ten-page itinerary ready to go. She can’t believe I am her daughter (but that’s nothing new).

And the road above? Ireland. Think of me, manual transmission, wheel on right side, skinny roads, and say a prayer. My little computer comes with me and I plan to do a little travelogue as we go. See you there!

1. June 13, 2008 10:18 am

ohhhhh!!! but of course you got the job!!! i never imagined any other scenario ….. this truly sounds perfect for you: a change of pace, giving and teaching others how to give to a very special group of children …….

and don’t we all aspire to university teaching eventually ?? i keep thinking, THEN, THEN, will I truly be in charge of my own life …. wishful thinking. but i’m known for that!

enjoy ireland with wide open arms: traveling mercies, girlfriend

oxox
    l.b.

2. June 13, 2008 12:40 pm

How interesting – the job you’re going to do sounds a bit like the one I’m trying to wangle for myself from my university! Well done as well on completing your first draft – what a huge milestone passed! I have found blogging friends exceptionally helpful commenters. But I do post a tidied up first draft and sometimes, I’ve asked people specifically who I know would be happy to do it. But the feedback does help.

And have a wonderful, wonderful time in Ireland!

3. June 14, 2008 1:19 am

wow! congratulations!

That’s a great undertaking you are doing!! Much success is wished for you!

4. toujoursjacques permalink
    June 14, 2008 4:01 am

Oh. I wondered if the pic was of Ireland. I hope you have a marvelous time! How can you not? with such good news in your pocket and such a lovely road to travel. I look forward to your travelogue! Be safe! Jacques P.S. Just wanting again to say Congratulations!!

5. June 14, 2008 5:51 pm

Hi Lady Blue. I am big on wishful thinking, too. Wish it, and then make it happen! My father told me I could do anything I wanted, so I just work under that premise. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn’t, but at least I have tried, and learned something in the process. Thanks for good travel wishes; I am getting psyched up for the trip. xxoo

6. June 14, 2008 5:54 pm

Very interesting, Litlove. Good luck with your wangling! I will be interested to see what works out for you. The WIP – I am very excited to start working on the edit. So much easier the second time around!
    I will surely have a wonderful trip, I promise.

7. June 14, 2008 6:01 pm

Thanks for the congrats, Deslily. I am really looking forward to my summer off before diving into a new adventure.
    I think you should add Neil Gaiman’s ‘Nevermore’ to your TBR pile. I noticed it is not in either one of your lists, and it is my favorite of his.

8. June 14, 2008 6:04 pm

You are about to go tripping too, Jacques… hope you have a marvelous summer on all of your adventures.
    Thanks for the congratulations and good wishes – friendly support goes a long way, and is much appreciated!!

9. June 16, 2008 9:37 pm

That’s great news, qugrainne. Congratulations! Look forward to reading your travelogue from Ireland. And well done on all the writing.

10. June 16, 2008 10:40 pm

Congratulations and Have a Wonderful Trip!
    Love your blog, by the way!

11. June 17, 2008 12:08 am

Congratulations on the job! It sounds like a very challenging and rewarding position. I’m very happy for you!

12. June 18, 2008 2:29 am

Congrats to you! People like you are so important to new teachers! I bet the change will be fun.

13. June 18, 2008 7:14 am

Congrats all around – the job, the draft, the trip.
    As for pages, I would be happy to comment, but I think you have to decide if you want feedback or if you already know what you need to do. If you know what you need, then I’d just go with that – if we comment, we’ll just be cloudying your intention.

But if you do decide to post, I’ll be looking forward to it.

Safe travels.

14. June 20, 2008 2:37 am

Safe travels it is! I’ve been on the road, and finally logged on to see all of these nice messages.

Thanks, Pete. I am looking forward to a summer off before starting the new adventure – and hopefully get lots of writing done on the way.

Thanks for the compliment, Pamela. I will visit your blog and say hello.

Awww, thanks for the good wishes, Carl. Nice to hear from you. I really don’t know how you keep up with all of this reading, writing, blogging business.

I agree, Becky, the change will be good for me. Eight years in the last position was long enough. This will be a good kick in the pants!

Thanks, Andi. I am still mulling it over. I have posted work to the world before, and have mixed emotions about the results. I will think about your advice.