Friday Confessions, actually written on Saturday

June 7, 2008

Isn’t that the sweetest face? A girl’s best friend. It doesn’t look like she could have a single Friday confession, but she does! You will find it further along. (Hint: she absolutely hates the mailman. The nerve of the trespasser!)

Is it ‘fess up Friday already, Literate Kitten? Wow – time flies when you are having fun! I am pleased to say I have a few confessions to make; it has been a busy week.

I entered the Flash Fiction contest sponsored by WOW – Women on Writing Ezine. Maximum word count was 500 and there was an open prompt. I reorganized a couple chapters from the thriller I am beating agent doors with. WOW is a nice Zine, with a blog that has interesting, pertinent articles for writers.

I am going to cheat a little, because I forgot to mention this earlier. I mailed an entry to the Writer’s Digest Annual Competition, which was due in mid-May. That was a memoir piece, with a maximum word count of 2,000 words. Both of these entries were culled and reworked from earlier pieces.

My last post here, which was written this week, was a book review of Death of a Gentle Lady, .

I have a critique partner, whom I found through Sisters In Crime. A Sister was looking for someone to exchange work with, so I sent her some pages and she sent me some pages. I reviewed, edited, and sent her pages back to her this past week. I haven’t heard from her yet…….

I rewrote my resume. Does that count? I am preparing my portfolio for an interview on Tuesday morning.

I sent a short bio piece, along with photos of my self-portraits, to Cahoots Ezine. Nothing ventured, nothing gained, right!? One of the artists of the month in the current Cahoots zine is Aunia Kahn (this link absolutely refuses to work, so I will simply list it here: http://www.findkahn.com) . I particularly liked her stuff, especially her Tarot cards. Please check out the beautiful work on her website.

Of course I read, and sometimes commented, on some of my favorite blogs. I am addicted to blogging. It’s ridiculous! This week I think I “talked” with Lady Blue on the Blue Bicycle, where there are so many lovely photographs and poetry. TJ on Toujours Jacque, who also has a site dedicated to his love of Irish Murdock. Litlove at Tales from the Reading Room, where there is a hysterical story today. Fiona at For Sheer Delight has a fabulous recipe for rhubarb pie. My mouth waters thinking about it. Becky at Wonders Never Cease, for which I have an RSS feed because she posts something every day, and it is such a positive outlook on life in general, I find it is a great way to start my day after logging on. Thanks, Becky! Andi at AndiLit just added three books to my summer TBR list. Scott at Find Your Magic has a blog tour taking off this summer. I am going to interview Scott in August, and give away a copy of his new book Far World. I received the ARC for pre-reading this week, but the dog got to it first…… I will have to read around the tooth holes. (She has now confessed her crime, naughty, naughty girl.) I have to admit I torture myself daily reading agent Janet Reid’s Query Shark. I sent a query to her, but she didn’t post it. Why? Why? Why? Too boring, too ridiculous, too wonderful, too, too, too? I pound my head on my desk every day. Should I rewrite the query and send it in again? Or is it the story itself that is boring? Trite? Overdone? Sheeeeeezzzzzzzzz And of course there is Carl at Stainless Steel Droppings. He is featuring some incredible artwork this week. Definitely check it out.

This week I am reading the second book by Sandra Balzo, Grounds for Murder. I wrote to her and respectfully requested an interview, and guess what?! People are so nice, sometimes it just catches me by surprise. Anyway, she is going to be near my neighborhood in early July, and she graciously agreed to meet for coffee and a chat. I am so excited! The protagonist in her mystery series is a woman who owns a coffee shop! Right up my alley. I think I will do a complete coffee thing in July, and talk about my favorite spot to write.

Oh, I wrote three pages in my WIP. Not so good. I think I had better leave off the other stuff and get focused for a while. Like NOW.

1. June 7, 2008 11:30 pm

Oh Qugrainne,

You have been quite busy and productive. And kudos to you (or is the current lingo: props to you) for sending out your work. As you say, nothing ventured, nothing gained. Which reminds me, I’ve been deliberating on sending some poetry to the magazine “The Sun” …. now maybe I should. It would certainly be a positive activity to focus on at the moment. Oh, I do enjoy ‘talking’ to you as well each week. And yes, that face is quite adorable. Maybe I should post the face of my beloved …… he can be quite ferocious, the little mutt.

And before I leave, though I realize you are quite busy at the moment, YOU’VE BEEN TAGGED. I know this will be a repeat – but a sweet blogger named jyotsana has been tagged for the VERY FIRST TIME, and so I am encouraging my dear friends to stop by my blog and join us in a ‘short’ game of blogging tag….. just a summer’s eve game with friends.

oxox
    lady blue

2. June 8, 2008 5:37 am

You should send your poetry to “the Sun” – why not? The more you send out, the better your odds get.
    My wee mutt can be ferocious too. She does not like interlopers, and chased the pizza delivery guy off the porch and into the street, where she grabbed on to his pant leg. He was a large man, and lifted his foot, shook, and she went flying. Lucky I wasn’t sued!
    I will join your game of tag…. after I come home from Leon’s Custard. The butter pecan is rapturous! (I had to look rapturous up after writing it, and it really is an adjective.)
    xxoo

3. June 8, 2008 8:25 am

Well, reading this made it clear to me I have to add to my Fess Up Friday reports actually sending stuff out. Excellent role modeling. I love Fess Up Friday.

4. June 8, 2008 8:26 am

Oops! That wasn’t supposed to be anonymous. I accidentally pressed the submit button before entering my address.

5. June 8, 2008 9:22 am

Well, yes, of course, one does have to actually send stuff out. I am wondering what it is like to have something come of it, however. I wish someone would role model that for me. No, actually I just wish someone would magically make it happen; that would be much better.

Fess up Friday makes me feel so accomplished and self congratulatory. I love it too. I should also get off this darn blog and do something a bit more productive. I could have written three more novels in the time I have spent here!

6. June 8, 2008 9:14 pm

I am impressed! What a productive week, both in writing and reading. I certainly relate to the addictive powers of blogging – there are so many informative, interesting, inspiring people posting every day, it’s quite a challenge to keep up and get anything else done.

Best of luck with your contest entries and submissions…I hope you hear good news from all of them!

7. June 8, 2008 9:16 pm

Oh – forgot to say thanks for the link to the coffee house series. I am also a coffee/coffee house fanatic, and will look forward to your interview with this author,

8. June 8, 2008 9:59 pm

Fun post!!! Thanks for the mention.

I really like the tarot card art you featured. I’ll have to go check out the artist’s site (couldn’t get your link to work, however).

It is amazing how quickly one can get lost and spend hours upon hours looking at great arts simply by following links on the internet. Incredible. I am so glad this forum exists in which we can see such a wide variety of great art for no more than the cost of monthly internet provider costs.

9. June 9, 2008 12:30 am

Wow – you had such a good week! You are an inspiration! And you’ve also provided me with links to some bloggers I haven’t read before, and that’s always a treat. And your dog is adorable – I send a big cuddle!

10. June 9, 2008 3:09 am

My, you’ve been busy! And yet found time to write such a great post! Thanks for the links to blogs I don’t know (and for linking to mine). It’s fun to explore…but it’s even better when someone you trust makes recommendations. Love the doggie!

11. June 9, 2008 5:46 am

So, my big question is what was the dog’s opinion after chewing on Water Keep? Are we talking five stars? Great blog. Love the art!

12. June 9, 2008 6:54 am

Thanks for the good wishes, Ravenous. I think all positive thought helps! I hope you enjoy the “coffee” series. Ms. Balzo is very funny. What is your drink of choice? I drink cappucino in the morning, and Chai Latte in the evening. I LOVE coffee.

Thanks for dropping in, Carl. Yes, Aunia’s art is quite lovely. I added the web address in, there were so many issues with linking. I agree, the internet is very addictive. I could, and often do, spend many hours when I should be doing something else. I just tell myself it is all educational!

Hi Litlove, Terra Firma says thanks for the cuddle! I find new, wonderful bloggers every day. I am getting increasingly tied to this machine, but it is so much fun. Thanks for visiting.

Glad you are up and about, TJ. Yes, it is always good to find some good reading/conversation in new blogs. It is an interesting way to make friends. Thanks, the pup is my sweetheart (only wicked to strangers).

Oops, sorry Scott. She did love the book, however. Definitely a 5* she let me know. Anyway, thanks for stopping to say hello. I am looking forward to our “chat” in August.

13. June 12, 2008 4:27 am

You are the sweetest thing. Thanks so much for mentioning my blog. And it makes my day that you read it every morning and find it a good way to start your day. Wow! That means a lot to me!
    Becky